 People / 335
Re: Time for LUGNET Legal Aid? (was: Remy is in the clear)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:36:44 GMT

Thanks Suzanne. It's good to hear what your thinking about all of this.

Suzanne D. Rich <suz@media.mit.edu> wrote:
Company. I have their interests at heart, and in mind, always -- certainly above
my own enthusiasm and curiosity.

This is an interesting point. Personally, I put my own interests above those
of the Lego Company, and I think that's true for a lot of us here. That's
not even a painful admission or anything. *grin*

It's not that I don't like or respect the Lego Company. I think they do a
lot of good things. On the other hand, they _are_ a company, in many ways
just like any other, and I've no great love of corporations dominating human
lives.

I'm not saying that your attitude is wrong by any means -- just that it's
not one that I personally take.

specific photo of a mock-up of future product, printed with only a
retailer's view in mind. To me, even the unsaid laws are hard and fast. I
will continue to "do the right thing" whenever I am faced with a situation.

Again an important point. I hope that it's apparent that a lot of us are in
different positions from the one you're in, and that it's not that we don't
want to do the right thing -- just that the right thing differs a lot from
where we are.

I try to make sure that my actions are consistent with what I feel is
morally right, in regards to the Lego Company and to anyone else. (I think
that as human beings, that's probably about the best anyone CAN do!) For me,
that includes respecting intellectual property rights. But it doesn't
include granting _any_ company new rights just because they happen to claim
them!

Anyway, I really respect your decisions and understand (at least somewhat!)
why you respond to things the way you do. I think that were I in your
position, I'd respond in much the same way.

And of course, I do appreciate all you've done for us all!