 Administrative / General / 3597
Re: Time for LUGNET Legal Aid? (was: Remy is in the clear)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:28:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Boen writes:
ahhh.. okay.. i see... so basically i made the statement saying that
perhaps we should look to people who know what they're talking about..

I think we should; I think people will trust the information Brad brings back
from Billund next week.

and all you can say is that i'm wrong.. i didn't say i'm positive of
anything... to quote myself "no one here knows for certain whether any of
the events that have transpired over the last few days warrant any concern
at all"

See, that's a false statement.  It's not true that no one here knows for
certain whether any of the events that have transpired over the last few
days warrant any concern at all.

that includes me.. and in the first instance of "leaking" info, you never
once cited any legalese that was specific to problems this might have
caused.. and in the case of the second "leak" you snapped and ended up
making a fool of yourself..

Well, like I said earlier, I felt it was better to jump the gun and risk
being wrong and possibly making a fool or an ass out of myself than risk
being right and not jumping the gun and allowing negative repercussions to
continue unfolding.  As to whether I made a fool of myself or scarred my
"calm & collected" reputation, I'm perfectly wiling to let people judge
that individually for themselves given what data I had available at the
time (in the Remy incident).

and Suz's threats (later cancelled) just made
the two of you look like complete fools... (i'm sorry, but her saying she
"sent a message to LEGO" just came off like a 4 year old "telling on you".

She was unbelievably upset.

whatever, you people aren't the LEGO police... you're just AFOL's like the
rest of us... only i don't feel like other AFOL's go around telling people
how to act/what to do)

I don't get that feeling either, and it's no fun playing cops, but with
regard to the second sentence in the text quoted above, there are reasons
(which Suzanne currently chooses to keep private, and it's her business, so
I won't question her decision) why the correctness or incorrectness of your
statement is not entirely black and white.

i'm not talking about saying "that seems wrong".. i mean SPECIFICALLY
stating what laws are being broken.. i'm not saying you shouldn't take a
stance when these issues come along, i'm just saying i don't think you're
coming from an informed point of view..  and your snap reply to what i felt
was my nice, calm, well-thought-out suggestion continues to sour my opinion
of you...

I'm sorry, and FWIW, I do apologize for snapping.  There's no justification
for snapping.  I get understandably frustrated when someone makes a false
statement flippantly.

Had you said something softened like,

  "I get the feeling that no one here knows for certain whether any of
   the events that have transpired over the last few days warrant any
   concern at all.  We seem to be acting like a bunch of teenagers,
   hoping that we don't get pregnant if we do it standing up.. what
   naive, uninformed *crap*!"

then that obviously would've been a true statement, and clearly your
opinion, assuming you actually got those impressions.

But instead, you said,

  "[N]o one here knows for certain whether any of the events that have
   transpired over the last few days warrant any concern at all.. we're
   acting like a bunch of teenagers, hoping that we don't get pregnant
   if we do it standing up.. that's naive, uninformed *crap*!"

the first sentence of which which leaves little room for passing up.  Again,
I'm sorry for being snappy.  I don't have much experience in dealing with
issues calmly of this type.  I'm confident that by next year I'll be much
better at it.

i've never seen you act this way before.. but this week you appear to be
very strongly standing on a platform of "if you don't see it my way,
you're wrong"..

I don't tend to trust people who say "just trust me," so I try passing that
or anything else trite upon you, but I'm afraid I really don't have anything
else that I can add at this point.

--Todd