 Administrative / General / 3651
Re: Time for LUGNET Legal Aid? (was: Remy is in the clear)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:55:47 GMT

No, I'm sorry I haven't posted yet.

I have been thinking long and hard about what I should/could say here. I think I
should say as little as possible, so I will be brief.

Sorry if my line breaks here are screwed up, Netscape bug. :-\

--------------

The post by Richard Marchetti yesterday was right-on. He saves me some writing
time. His comments are appreciated, though I didn't know I had been called
"frosty"...

http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=12060

I should mention that I have extensive experience in both the print publishing
and online publishing worlds. My previous "real jobs" were in magazine
illustration and design and large-scale corporate web site design. I began
building with LEGO in 1995 as a hobby.

I should also admit that here (on LUGNET) I don't expect to be scrutinized for
technicalities. I often speak straight from the gut. (I believe on my member
page, the descriptive words include "blunt." I'm afraid this is true.) Long
argumentative threads off my posts came as an unpleasant shock recently. they
won't so much in future I guess.

--------------

Since 1997 I have had very close associations with the LEGO company. This has
been through many angles. I have to stress that I know a little bit about a
great many areas (as opposed to a lot about one specific area). This gives me
what I believe to be a pretty accurate picture of the company. It can be
delicate at times. I can not for instance discuss certain secrets with one group
which I learned about from another. I would describe it as jogging lightly
through many circles -- nearly invisible, but always listening.

I have worked with R&D on contract from 1997-1999. I entered the MIT Media Lab
to pursue LEGO-related projects. In September I was honored by being named LEGO
Fellow.

In October much hard work came to fruition at the MindFest event which I was a
planner of -- particularly from the adult enthusiast point of view. I saw to it
that the adults were recognized in every way possible, and selected key
individuals to join us in panel discussions.

You might say I've been working "behind the lines" for you all for quite some
time. Outwardly, I always try to set the best possible example, whether it be by
writing correctly worded disclaimers, or not speaking disrespectfully of TLC, or
by not leaking the information I was exposed to. (Even Todd does not hear from
me about what I do. That is a necessary understanding we have.)

When first stepping into LEGO territory I was a bit overwhelmed with excitement,
but I tried to keep my cool and perform as a professional. Almost immediately my
fantasies were shot down by finding out that LEGO was a company(!), and
therefore like many other companies in many respects. I think I had expected all
LEGO employees to be fans and know way more than I did about everything-LEGO. Of
course this was unrealistic. People within the company are mortals.

The past few years have been ones of enormous change in the LEGO company, as
many of you know. Sometimes I have felt disappointed by decisions made or
confused by actions. But through it all I have a great respect for the LEGO
Company. I have their interests at heart, and in mind, always -- certainly above
my own enthusiasm and curiosity.

I have had tasks which were painful to carry out but that I understand as part
of greater principles and the greater good for the company. It is not my place
to question their decisions. I respect whatever choices they make. Particularly
regarding privacy, all the way down to a detail as seemingly-trivial as a
specific photo of a mock-up of future product, printed with only a retailer's
view in mind. To me, even the unsaid laws are hard and fast. I will continue to
"do the right thing" whenever I am faced with a situation.

As an appreciator of their system of elements, at home I am concentrating on
what I love best which happens to be building with LEGO parts and building this
community. (not collecting sets or company data or fanaticism)

This is why I react negatively to what I see as "not what LEGO had in mind." I
defend them around you just as I defend you around them. Truly it works both
ways.

That's about all I can think of to say right now. I'm sorry that I need to
defend myself in this way. I had hoped that others on LUGNET thought just as I
did, but that was silly of me. I can remember a time (just a few years ago) when
I too was so excited about catalogs, and lacked knowledge of the depth and
breadth and complexity of a company such as LEGO.

Please try to have fun. Todd and I started LUGNET for LEGO Users to expand their
possibilities in fun with the product.

Oh, and I can assure you I'm not frosty, in fact my normal body temperature
glides between 98.6 and 99.3 degrees F.

;-)

-Suz.

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Faunce writes:
Was this announcement/explanation ever posted?  If so, I missed it.

Mike

Suzanne D. Rich <suz@media.mit.edu> wrote in message
I will post an announcement (in some hours) explaining to you and those • like
you, the reasons behind my judgments of activity here and the distinction
between myself and your "just an AFOL" description of me.

Hopefully that will be the end.

-Suz.