 Parts / Custom / 36
Re: My Big Phat RP Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:56:12 GMT

snip
   1- The conversion factor of 1 LDU = .4mm isn’t exactly applicable to RP LEGO. Some of my parts are loose, some are tight. We built in a little fudge factor in the STL files, but obviously it wasn’t enough for some machines/part features and too much for others. I knew LDraw was extremely simplified compared to real LEGO, but nothing like experiencing it! snip Darrell

Way cool!

Thanks for sharing.

On the topic of scale. What I’ve determined is the following:

the LDU to mm conversion is an exact conversion

However:

A 1x1 brick is only 7.8mm x 7.8mm

and the studs are located 8.0mm for one another (measured on center)

A 1x2 brick is 7.8mm x 15.8mm

again the are located on 8.0mm centers

A 1x4 brick is 7.8mm x 31.8mm

or in general

a 1 x n brick is 7.8mm x n*8-0.2mm

a 2 x n brick is 15.8mm x n*8-0.2mm

etc

Does this align with anyone elses measurement?

In the ldraw world, everything is modeled with no gap between parts. In the real world, there is a slight gap between parts to ease assembly.

I’m sure the LEGO engineers have a rapid prototyping machine - wouldn’t it be fun to see what parts they try out?

Cheers

Ben Fleskes

Big Ben Bricks LLC

http://www.bigbenbricks.com