 CAD / 9593
Re: ldraw based import parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:40:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Thomas Burger writes:
for those of you who know i have made import parts,  i completed my page at
my website for them at: www.geocities.com/tburger666/lego
gregory overkamp has done models with these parts to, his link is in there..

the latest parts since the 12th of march 2003 are :
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GrapeApe/import/parts/parts.jpg

i have made new parts, one is a "invader" kit front, part 42424.dat, shown
in the image:  http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GrapeApe/import/car4d5.jpg

Hi Thomas,

Very nice parts! I teach a class in 3D CAD at a Community College in
California, and I have had my students model a LEGO dragster for a few
semesters now. As LDraw gets better and better with the additions of
applications like LPub and LSynth, I've had to change my class (it would be too
easy for a student to model his vehicle in MLCAD and submit that to me). Now I
have them design their own parts, using LEGO as a base and the LDraw system of
measurment.

Do you mind me pointing my students to your site for inspiration? We work in a
slightly larger scale than minifig, though (and frankly some of the cars in the
BShelf link don't look much like their full scale namesakes..) ;-)

Another idea I had is linking my students' work with our CNC deptartment. We
have an ABS rapid prototyping machine; would you mind if I tried to prototype
one of your parts? I was thinking about trying one of your front airdams; it
would look really cool on the front of one of my LEGO cars! If it works, I'll
send you one. My only problem is we won't be offering the class (due to budget
cuts) for at least another semester.

Darrell