 CAD / 11773
Re: My Big Phat RP Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:08:34 GMT

"Darrell Urbien" <durbien@mail.occ.cccd.edu> wrote in message
news:I2DzA0.120q@lugnet.com...
Hey all,

Just got my pix back from the Rapid Prototyping conference and thought I'd
share..

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/durbien/Rapid-Prototypes/Model-Peugeot-3
06/1-side.jpg>>

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=94617 Folder Pending Mod>

Full credit has to go to:

[Tom Burger] (for designing the parts in the first place and making the • DAT
files freely available)

[Greg Overkamp] (for designing the original MOCs - though I must admit I • had to
do some creative substitution to make up for my small parts collection)

The great folks at the [RP Technologies] conference for making the parts, • and of
course..

The staff and students of [Orange Coast College and DRAFT 159], who put up • with
all my LEGO foolishness!

The DAT files had to be tweaked a little - some of the part features were
un-buildable. For example, there was no way to make the impossibly thin • low
profile tyre part and expect it to survive, so we just made it part of the
wheel.

The machines I used were a 3DSystems InVision (this uses a photopolymer • resin
build material, encased in a wax support) and a Stratasys Dimension (ABS • build,
water-soluable support). I didn't use a ZCorp machine even though one was
available at the conference. The consensus of the Techs was it wouldn't be • able
to hold the fine detail in the wheels, etc.

It was great fun to make these parts, and I learned a lot!

1- The conversion factor of 1 LDU = .4mm isn't exactly applicable to RP • LEGO.
Some of my parts are loose, some are tight. We built in a little fudge • factor in
the STL files, but obviously it wasn't enough for some machines/part • features
and too much for others. I knew LDraw was extremely simplified compared to • real
LEGO, but nothing like experiencing it!

I only got to make a few parts on each machine. There were lots of people • at the
conference, so I didn't have time to tweak dimensions and run more.. I • could
probably get much better fits the second batch.

2- The 3DSystems machine could hold extremely fine detail - the spokes on • part
46000 are tiny! I even modeled a little groove on the front face of that • part,
trying to represent the joint between the wheel and the tyre. It's • fractions of
a mm in the CAD file, but it showed up nicely in the raw part. Of course
painting to that groove was a challenge - one that I didn't take up, LOL..

3- Don't leave your photopolymer parts in the support cleaning bath for • more
than a few seconds at a time - they'll melt! When I found out some of my • parts
were heat damaged, I was really bummed. The parts as they came out of the
machine looked great. One in particular, a wing (part 42461), looked • fantastic -
until we broke it trying to get the wax supports off. It was repaired and • broken
several more times before I even got a chance to photograph it, but I • managed to
cobble it back together with superglue. Of course the wing angle got • screwed up
in the process, but what are you gonna do? I broke one of the wheels • trying to
get it onto an axle too..Grrr.

4-The Stratasys Dimension rocks! The ABS is very durable and LEGO-like. • I'd
really like to try some of the wheels in that machine. The machine we have • at
OCC uses solid "breakaway" support material - in other words you have to • get in
there with tools and chip your part out of it. Not fun. The Dimension • cleans up
in a little whirlpool bath. Much nicer.

5- I didn't really have time to finish the parts properly - you can still • see a
lot of "step-over" (the edges of the layers of material are apparent). • That
could've easily been sanded smooth. I didn't do any sanding or finishing • on the
bodykit parts at all, though actually I think they look more realistic in • white!

I did decide to paint the broken wing since it was so hideously ugly from • the
repairs. I painted the wheels just because they looked funny in • translucent
resin, but they probably deserved to be sanded and clearcoated.. In the • pic in
the folder that shows the four wheels you see: two painted very basically • (front
and rear views), the broken one (subsequently painted black), and a • completely
raw part.

Hope you enjoy the parts and mocs - I know my students will really get a • kick
out of them. I brought the parts to SIGGRAPH and they seemed to go over • well,
though Tim Courtney trumped me with about 30 beautiful Stratasys and ZCorp • parts
on display... Punk!  :)

I wish I could go to BrickFest, but I'm seriously conferenced-out. Plus • school
is starting up soon! I might be able to make NWBrick Con - I should have • more
stuff printed by then too.

PLMKWYT

Darrell

I'm in!  Put me on your list of people who definitely WANT SOME OF THOSE
PARTS
!

-Rob
www.brickmodder.net