Re: BrikWars: SteamPunk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 18:09:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Wayne McCaul writes:
Well, ever since I heard it, I've been mildly obsessed with the idea of
BrikWars: Steampunk.  While I've got all kinds of ideas floating around, I
want -nay, *need*- to know if the plan involves any of the more "fantastic"
weapon ideas. Airships, Super Cannons, Heat Rays, RocketMen,
Mary-Poppins-Umbrellas-of-Death, etc. as it affects design decisions.

If you can build it using the BrikWars 2000 rules and *not* the Supernatural
Powers Supplement, it's legal.

For the record, that doesn't mean that "supernatural" things are not allowed.
If you want to have magic as a part of your army, more power to you.  But you
can't use the SP Supplement rules to create them.   I hope that makes sense.

Plus, are there any special or house rules I should be aware of?

Not that I can think of.

I'd like to think about instituting a limit on how high a TL you can buy a
weapon down from.  In the Item Modification section, there are rules for buying
down the TL of a weapon, so in theory you could give all your troops
LightSabers and buy them down to TL3 (if you wanted to spend the points).  I'd
like to either set a limit on what TL things can start at, or just how many
items you can buy down that way, or both.

I imagine
that each mechanical unit should probably have some kind of boiler for a
power source (although wasn't the Nautilus powered by something else? It's
only the movie I'm thinking of, so it could be out-of-wack, but I got the
impression it was supposed to be atomic-powered). But are these boilers more
susceptible to overloading or exploding on their own; when they're
damaged-to-x; can you do it on purpose?

I don't think so.  The vehicle rules themselves require bigger machines for
lower TLs to get the same power- this is a perfect excuse to go ahead and build
a realistic looking boiler or some such device on the vehicle.  As far as I'm
concerned, that aspect of this game is half the fun... I think it will be great
to have a collection of armies that LOOK really SteamPunk.

I'm not trying to over-complicate anything, but I do enjoy hashing out new
rules and testing them.

I do enjoy discussing rules and so on, but I have to admit I'm a little gunshy
about instituting too many new rules in the NELUG BrikWars setting.  Most of
the people in NELUG aren't inveterate gamers (although I am) and therefore the
simpler everything stays, the better off we are...

I know it's down the road; it's probably too premature for these questions...

It's never too premature for these types of questions!  Just because we haven't
set a date yet doesn't mean that these questions shouldn't be answered; in
fact, the reason a date hasn't been set yet is so everyone can have time to
prep.  And you can't prep fully if you don't have all the facts, right?

So ask away!

eric