Re: Meeting theme building?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 17:58:06 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

Hey guys...

For some time, I've been mildly jealous of clubs that have the members all
build something related and bring them to meetings- take, for example, the
"auto show" at a recent japanese LUG's meeting:

This reminds me of a funny story.  Well, funny for everybody else ...

During junior/senior high school, we were occasionally blessed with snow days or
teacher-conference days, or some other excuse not to go to school and to have
the day off.  Invariably the huge box of LEGO would be hauled out into the
living room, and my sister and I would build.

Well, one game that I always insisted on playing was affectionately called [nerd
alert, nerd alert] "government contractor".  I kid you not.  It consisted of
specifying some construction of general interest, and then a time limit in which
to build it.  For example "a helicoptor", "a tank", or "an office building".
Typically the time limit was an hour or two.  At the end of which, we would
showcase our creations to a panel of judges (consisting primarily of myself) in
order to attract the bid.

Now, my sister is 6 years younger than I am.  So when I was, say, a freshman in
high school, she was still in 2nd grade.  There was a serious difference between
our creations.  Hers were typically rainbow, mine were typically packed full of
trap doors and secret panels and hidden features and surplus supplies.  Her
presentation was typically short, mine usually involved slides and implied video
footage.  She rarely (read: never) won.

Still, she wrote about the game "Government Contractor" in her college
admissions essays.  Makes for good laughs, even still.

Anyway, this idea sounded like a non-competitive version of "Government
Contractor".  Sign me up, regardless of the subject matter!

-s