Re: BrikWars: SteamPunk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 18:20:34 GMT

Info for folks:

At the last NELUG meeting (5-15-01), it was suggested that an upcomming
BrikWars game be set in a world of pumped-up past technology.

The game has possibly been scheduled for the 4th weekend in June.
Possibly to be at Jorge's house.

Here are a few links which may help in visualizing. I'd appreciate help
from those who suggested this realm (you know who you are).

a description of the genre as written for a role-playing game:
   http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/steampunk/index.html

reference material and resource suggestions from a role-playing gamer:
   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Phil_Masters/steampnk.htm

Suggested reading/viewing would, again, be better selected by the other
guys, but from what I gather, it's kind of a low-tech, Victorian age
sci-fi. Like, what they thought the future would be like. kinda creepy
clockwork, mad scientist, fantastical, industrial, "magic with a dark
side" (as said in the imdb). So, you might look to:

Jules Verne
  20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  Paris in the Twentieth Century
John Boland
League of Gentlemen
Journey to the Center of the Earth (maybe?)
Brazil (maybe?)
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Time Bandits (maybe?)

Dare I say LEGO Time Cruisers?

-Suz (who will see to it that Timmy is in the game somewhere)

Wayne McCaul wrote:

Well, ever since I heard it, I've been mildly obsessed with the idea of
BrikWars: Steampunk.  While I've got all kinds of ideas floating around, I
want -nay, *need*- to know if the plan involves any of the more "fantastic"
weapon ideas. Airships, Super Cannons, Heat Rays, RocketMen,
Mary-Poppins-Umbrellas-of-Death, etc. as it affects design decisions.

Plus, are there any special or house rules I should be aware of? I imagine
that each mechanical unit should probably have some kind of boiler for a
power source (although wasn't the Nautilus powered by something else? It's
only the movie I'm thinking of, so it could be out-of-wack, but I got the
impression it was supposed to be atomic-powered). But are these boilers more
susceptible to overloading or exploding on their own; when they're
damaged-to-x; can you do it on purpose?

I'm not trying to over-complicate anything, but I do enjoy hashing out new
rules and testing them.

I know it's down the road; it's probably too premature for these questions...

Evil Wayne
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

http://www.geocities.com/legomaniac70