 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 790
Re: Thoughts on what to do next time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:19:21 GMT

Modular Table Pros:

- Fit Lego baseplates perfectly in both dimensions

- Can be configured any way we like (or is dictated by the display
space we're assigned)

- Light and easy to transport (if you had the largest size as 30" x
30", and not have any 60" length sections, you could even just use a
car to transport them).

- They are a "known" quantity.  This is a major advantage.  Using
these tables, we would never have to wonder about table availability,
heights, dimensions, sturdiness, etc.  Of course, this could be said
of any tables that we brought with us, but there you are.

- The height is ideal, IMHO.  Any lower, and you will have the much
smaller kids pawing at the layout.  It's automatic, they can't control
themselves ;-).  At this height, the layout was just at or below eye
level for the ages of kids that appreciated it most, yet still fine
for us adults to work on and enjoy as well.

- No problem finding (ie. building) more tables if and when needed

- Standard to other existing Lego clubs, for future involvement

Cons:

- Means more work in transporting tables, legs, and hardware to
events, then home again.

- Means more time in assembling the tables at the event, then
disassembling them afterward.

- Someone has to build them, and most of us would have trouble doing
that, so we have to pay someone to do it.

- Someone has to store them, no matter whose they are, and most of us
don't have much room.

- Existing design could be improved in several ways (has no method for
attaching skirting, plexiglass, cabling, controllers; has some limits
in how it can be FIRMLY connected [no holes along key points in the
middle of table])

- Probably more expensive to acquire than "standard" tables.

- For most of us, those tables would end up doing "double duty" in our
homes.  Used for Lego shows while out, and for a myriad of other
duties while at home.  For this purpose, the table is probably too
high.  (Yes, I know this is a weak reason, but a valid one, at least
for me)

Having said all this, basically of summary of what's been posted with
my own 2 cents added, I think having our own tables is the better way
to go, and for this reason.  Anytime you can eliminate an unknown
variable in a show like this, jump at it.  There will always be
surprises when doing shows like this.  We were fortunate this time.
Next time, we may not be so fortunate.

I used to be part of a travelling theatre troupe.  We would often
arrive at our performance venue only hours before the show, and
despite trying to ascertain the stage, lighting, seating, exits,
sound, etc. before arriving, inevitably there would something major
that we would need to scramble to overcome.  They would have told us
over the phone that they had a 15' deep stage, but it was really 12',
or perhaps the "stage" was at the side of the auditorium, not the end,
and therefore completely unsuitable.  There were a hundred variations,
none of which could be predicted.  It was always something, and it
required us to some serious scrambling to adjust to, sometimes we
would need to completely reblock a scene, on the spot, just to fit the
stage.  Crazy!  Anyway, we learned that the more you can minimize the
risk of this happening, the better the show was.  One major way of
doing this was by bringing all of our own equipment and even a stage.
We brought tons of stuff to the show, and it was always waaaay more
work.  We never used it all at one place, but almost always need to
use something we didn't expect to have to use.

For this reason alone, having our own tables is the best.  However,
there are probably improvements that could be made to the modular
tables themselves.  We'll save that for another posting.

Robin