 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 793
Re: Thoughts on what to do next time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:43:04 GMT

Dean Husby wrote in message <3A11979D.6B235308@akasa.bc.ca>...

The "Club" hasn't really discussed anything regarding tables or club
assets so we don't know at this time if anyone else wishes to have
tables made. You've made your personal preferences on the tables quite
clear and if/when the time comes to discuss modular tables we will know
where you stand.

Whups. Dean, it sounds like you feel offended by my comments on the tables -
I hope not, that was not my intention at all, and I'm sorry if it came
across that way. Mostly I found it annoying to have to try and level the two
different heights of tables. If we had the possibility of plenty of the
modular tables to make a good size layout, that would be great.

I believe we had one of the lowest "Display" (not vendor) at the show.
Some were much higher then ours.

Definitely. I think the only one about the same height as ours was the
G-gauge garden railways next to us. The Lionel and American Flyer stuff was
ridiculously high.

As far as tables go, we only had the
possible use of one more table. It was the size of Bryan's table.

When we filled in the registration forms right at the beginning, it asked us
how many tables we needed. I read that to mean that tables were available if
we wanted them - like the guys next to us who had the three tables covered
with trains going round and round (don't know why they bothered, really!).
But we had to "book them" beforehand if we wanted them.

We
still had to transport all the rest. At malls we probably wouldn't even
get that.

When I see displays at our local mall, like crafts stalls and servce club
displays, they always use loads of those folding tables and I have always
assumed that the mall owns them and uses them whenever it does displays like
that. Maybe that's not the case - they may rent them as needed, though I
should think it would be more economic for them to own them.

Those tables are VERY heavy and hard to transport.

Been there, done that :-). I can get 8, 6-footers in my van, but the
8-footers are too long. However, my idea was not that we should transport
them, but that *if* they are reliably (Robin makes good points about
surprises) available at the show location, it would be convenient not to
have to transport tables at all.

Regarding power wires. Next time we can put the power wires between  the
tables as we put them together this will allow power for track and
lighting to be in key spots around the layouts. We just didn't think
about it this time. heh.

That's a good idea. We just have to plan for it in advance. And we can
always have the backhoe digging up the road for any which have to be visible
:-). Even just taping them down flat to the table surface with masking tape
so they are under the baseplates would work. Of course we are different from
most of the other clubs in covering the entire table surface in baseplates.

Kevin