 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 789
Re: Thoughts on what to do next time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:50:53 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Dean Husby wrote in message <3A109A97.DFD89100@akasa.bc.ca>...
Well, we did have the tables built with shows in mind, and with future • shows
where we want to have more varied layouts the configurablilitiness of them • will
come in handy. It was our hope that others of the group would have tables • made
and then everyone would bring them together to have lots of possibilities.

That's nice, but who else is going to build tables? I'm not - no room to
store them and no money or time to build them. Can't think of anyone else
who's shown any interest in doing so either.

The "Club" hasn't really discussed anything regarding tables or club
assets so we don't know at this time if anyone else wishes to have
tables made. You've made your personal preferences on the tables quite
clear and if/when the time comes to discuss modular tables we will know
where you stand.

That leaves us with half high tables (and I think they are too high for kids to
see properly, though they

are a good height for you Dean :-) ) and half low ones and the same problem
again. To make a good size layout would take 2x as many again tables as what
you have. And we'd have to transport them all... Site-supplied 8' by 30"
tables look better and better to me. That's exactly 3 baseplates wide, you
just have to fudge the length a bit.

I believe we had one of the lowest "Display" (not vendor) at the show.
Some were much higher then ours. As far as tables go, we only had the
possible use of one more table. It was the size of Bryan's table. We
still had to transport all the rest. At malls we probably wouldn't even
get that. Those tables are VERY heavy and hard to transport. The Modular
Tables are VERY light and the half size ones are very easy to
transport, even in a larger car and where easy in a van. Also, with the
modular tables we can have much more exciting and varied layouts. If I
recall right, all the LEGO Clubs have high tables, my tables were made
to spec from the PNLTC standard and I think the GMLTC club has similar
heights.

Additionally, if we had had our own vehicle, transporting the tables
would not have been an issue.  They are light -- even for us, which is
the whole point behind them.

Yes, and I can make a mindstorm controller system to manage the trains. • That
would cool.

It would. But that reminds me of something I missed off the list - cable
management! So we can have non-battery lighting in buildings, powered
switches, your Excellent grade crossing, and track controllers in multiple
places without cables snaking all over the place. David managed to get one
of them tucked away very netly under a roadplate, so maybe we can do it that
way if we plan for cable routes and tape them down before the baseplates go
down. Controller shelves to attach to the side of the tables too instead of
sitting on top of the layout. Maybe we could rig up some extra long cables
too.

Regarding power wires. Next time we can put the power wires between  the
tables as we put them together this will allow power for track and
lighting to be in key spots around the layouts. We just didn't think
about it this time. heh.

I had discussed the bolting of the controllers on the table sides some
time ago but, I believe, was told that it wouldn't be a good thing for
that show. But I'll have a couple of connectors made to allow the
controllers to be bolted to the sides of the tables. Of course, this
would only work on tables with holes.  Like the Modular Tables.

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html