 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 250
Re: Friday October 13 & McPherson Center
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:17:00 GMT

Hi all,

Beware, this is a loooong post.  But good, I hope!

The next meeting will take place on Friday Oct. 13th.  The theme will be,
appropriately enough, Pirates. And if people attending could attire
themselves similarly, it would be even more fun!

For those that are confused, this is our regular monthly "private" get
together event.

Dean is working on getting space at the upcoming event at McPherson Center
which I understand is the following weekend.  We had some discussion at the
end of the last meeting (last night) regarding the type of public display we
wish to have.  Some thoughts were:

I thought Dean would address this.  I'll know he'll add more when he
gets the info.

Basically, the idea is to have a few public shows occasionally at
whatever venue we can get.  In this case, it's the annual computer
fair at McPherson Centre in Burnaby.  Apparently, the organizers like
to have user groups come and "display" whatever they have to bring
more people in.  The groups are not all computer related (ie. radio
clubs, coin and stamp collectors, etc.), so Dean thought it would be
fun to do something like this.

Why are we doing it?  Well, the reason bandied around is ostensibly to
attract more members, and that very well might happen.  However, my
personal take on it is just that it will be fun!!!  These kinds of
things are just a hoot to put on.  You get to show off your stuff, and
have all these regular mortals oohing and aahing (and "pawing") over
it.  Whatever the reason, I think that it could be a great time.

Some thoughts:

° It would be far better to have quality over quantity.

This is critical.  I know that with a group like ours, we could easily
fill multiple tables with tons of stuff.  The end result is simply a
cluttered, unorganized mess.  This will take some careful organization
and planning, and must start with the exact space we have available to
use, including traffic flow, table space, power sources, lighting,
etc.  If we do it right, it will be awesome.  If we do it poorly, it
will just look cheesy and amateur.  We have the people and resources
to do it right, so let's have at it!

I'm willing to help coordinate in any way that I can.  Dean and Alex,
let me know when you have more info from the McPherson people.

Until Dean secures the space for us and we know exactly how much space we
have to work with, we should discuss who will bring what.

Or rather, we should present what we all have, so that we, as a group,
can select the best stuff for this particular show.  See above.

° Train:

I have a Metroliner assembled and ready to roll:

     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4558

° Monorail: I believe Robin said that he had boxes of monorail track.

At my lego auction partner's place, I know that there are two paper
shopping bags, one filled with monorail track, and the other with
supports:

     http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/2680.gif
     http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/2681.gif

I should also have scads of grey flat 1x4s to bind them.

According to my records, in that stash I also have the following two
sets, which may be familiar to some of you.   ;-)

     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6990
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6399

I can't guarantee if these are all there, since they are currently
unassembled, but I will confirm ASAP, hopefully in the next couple of
days.

° Pirates: I believe Kevin, Robin and David all have some great Pirate sets.

In my own personal collection, that is the collection I have here at
my house :-), I've got the two big pirate ships:

     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6285
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6286

In the auction stash at my LP's, according to my records we have the
following largish sets, as well as most of the small pirate sets:

Imperial Trading Post
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6277
Imperial Flagship
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6271
Island pirate bases:
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6270
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6273

° Castle: Brian Wong, it would be great to enlist your help in this area.

My castle should be finished by then, and could be displayed.

° Technic:

I don't have much out and assembled, but I do have that wonderful ship
that I brought to the club a few months ago:

     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8839

° Belleville: I'm not sure if it's appropriate, but I was thinking of
bringing some of my Belleville stuff.

Absolutely!!  Someone also mentioned the old homemaker sets.  At my
LP's, I know we have the following, and perhaps more:

     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=230
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=231
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=232
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=269

Other:

I also have those old 4.5 trains that could be quietly wheeling around
on their own.  I don't have any buildings (station, freight dock,
etc.), just the trains and some track (actually TONS of track).

I've also got a few of the old boats, which I think are just
absolutely charming.  According to my records, these sets are over at
my LP's.  Some of them are showing their age, and have none or few of
the decals, but they're still cute.

Cargo and harbour:

Ferry
Container Ship
Tug
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4005
Freighter
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4015
Cargo Carrier
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4030
Cabin Cruiser
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4011

Police and Coast Guard:

Police
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=709
Police
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6990
Police Rescue Boat
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4010
Police Patrol
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4021
Coastal Cutter w/runabout
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6353

Fire:

Fire Fighter
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=775
Fire Fighter
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4020
Fire Boat
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4025
Fire Rescue
     http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4031

With all these ships, I can see a large harbour, with pirates
attacking a castle on one end, and a busy seaport with many ships
being loaded on the other.  The port is of course part of a train
layout ...

... there's a huge fire on the waterfront, with several fire boats
attending to put it out

... the natives are out trying to fish, and the police and coast guard
are out with their boats (including a couple zodiacs) trying to run
them over, destroy their lobster traps, or capture their catch

... and in the middle of the water/harbour, there's an island with a
pirate base on one end and an imperial base on the other, with the
battle raging ...

I won't be offended or take it "too" personally if none of this stuff
gets used to show.  I just offer it up as available.  I've also got
tons more stuff available (around 300 sets), mostly in old town and
old space, from the "auction" collection.  It's mostly unbuilt, and
some even unsorted, so will require lots of work to get complete and
ready, so the sooner I know what's needed, the better.

This is going to be a lot of work for us to get ready.  All of us.
The sooner we can get organized and determine the space, and then the
stuff that's going to go in it, the sooner we can all get to work to
fill it!!

We'll also need to figure out things like table skirts, signs,
banners, business cards or flyers, etc.  This is by no means a
complete list, but as you may be able to tell, I'm excited!!

Let's keep talking about it!

Robin