 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8763
Re: rtlToronto15 January issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:44:30 GMT

   *---<T>---<T>--<T>---*
blue    |     |    |    red
        |     |    |
        |     |    |
        |     |    |
        +----<T>---+
              ^

T - a T joint (duh!)
- a blue marker
< - a red marker

Calum was saying that at each T joint, there would be a marker as to the
"right" way to go to reach the objective.  But, you could go on
alternate routes and still find your way back using markers.

So the blue bot, gets to the first T, and can either follow the blue
marker, or go explore.  Then, when it gets to the second T, it has the
same options - follow the blue marker (which would point it twards a way
to the objective), or go explore.  If it gets to the T marked with a
'v', and chooses to go down, it will reach the next 'T' (marked with a
'^'), and know it needs to reverse directions in order to reach it's
objective.  All the while, the Red robot doesn't care about all these
blue marks, as it's looking for red ones.

Does that make sense?  Should I go sit on the sidelines a little longer?

:)

I blame the ascii art.

:)

this is the problem I see.

(more ascii art)

1                                       2
----------------------------
                     red

                      3

OK, put a robot at the base of the T. (number 3)

as it drives up the pipe, it reads the RED tape.  so it should turn left to
the # 2.

so far easy.

BUT

2                                      1
----------------------------
                     red

                      3

same T, but this time from the back.

(notice how the 1 and 2 are reversed)

same robot, starts at the 3... but because it is now at the "back" of the T,
when it sees the red tape it will turn left. as agreed. (red = left)

~B U T ~

now, instead of going to # 1 it actually heads to # 2

Chris
on topic, but still gets in a potty joke.