 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6916
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto/beep1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:15:28 GMT

Hi folks,

    rtlToronto/beep1: The Sound of Music
    the Fourteenth Toronto Lego Robotics Event
    Tuesday, April 1, 2003
    Toronto Public Library, Lillian H Smith Branch
    239 College Street (E of Spadina)

Join us today for the 14th Lego Robotics Event here in beautiful sunny
Toronto, Ontario, Canada:  rtlToronto/beep1: The Sound of Music.  This design
competition is designed to encourage Lego enthusiasts to build a robot that
can make a sound in a difficult head to head competition against another
robot creation.

Specifications and rules are posted, as always, on the rtlToronto website:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-040103-rules.html

Hope to see you there!

Calum

No one's complained about the rules yet, which is pretty strange for an
rtlToronto event. Let me start then: The competition begins at 2pm, and ends
at 2:01? But each round is supposed to last 3 minutes.

As for scoring, first of all, the examples have a solo winner getting 2
points, but the score table shows a solo winner getting only one point. So
which one is right?

Also, I think it would be much more interesting if you used a prisoner's
dilemma scoring system. If neither robot beeps, zero points all around. If
only one robot beeps, two points for that robot. But if both robots beep,
negative one points for both robots. At least that will make writing the
program a little more challenging as now you'll have to decide if your
competitor will beep or not.

Lastly, let me gripe about the short notice. I looked into flights, and I
can't possibly make it there before 3pm. So I'd appreciate at least 10 hours
notice in the future!

So that this entire message isn't all gripes, I'm really looking forward to
seeing John Guerquin's presentation posted online afterwards!

--
  David Schilling