 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 41
Re: did everyone have fun at mel's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:56:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
But I wouldn't be able to make a T1.  Modeling a subway would be eight • wide,
and I'm strictly against eight wide trains. :)

Huh? Why!

In my mind, Town/Train has character/style scale, unlike Technic where you
build everything scaled to the smallest you can get the most complex
mechanism.  This scale isn't realistic, it's stylised.  For example, Lego
people's heads are a fourth of their total height (like cartoons), while real
people's heads are a 1/7th of their height. Doors in buildings are 4 wide.
Floors should be five tall.  Anything else is...unusual, it just doesn't look
right, right being defined as Lego Town sets.  But at least in architecture
you can get away with calling things design cues (ie, a floor is now eight
tall).

In vehicles, the defined Town scale is 4 wide.  There have been literally
hundreds of vehicles that are 4 wide from Lego's own designs.  As a result,
I'm against 'sixby' cars.  On the other hand, I could see why sixby trucks are
valid, Lego has put out vehicles like 3411 Ball Bus and the 2148 Tour Truck
which are six by (or slightly larger than four by).  I won't use the excuse
that trucks in real life are wider than cars-that's not the point, it's that
cars in Lego Town are four wide, and some trucks are six wide by Lego's
design.

Train has a scale too.  It's defined by the general Lego style which is sixby
wide for everything.  Those modellers who do eightby trains (as nice as their
work is) are doing it for realistic scale, which I don't agree with similar to
above.  That's why I can't build an eightby train, it would be required to do
a T1 justice in realism, but I'm not a realism builder, I'm a Lego style
builder.

Calum
PS-now that Chris and other Technic folks are completely unimpressed :) I
suppose I should ask if anyone seriously would consider doing a small layout
for a train show.