 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1978
Re: train2 rollcall...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 18:35:36 GMT

Derek Raycraft wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Van Winden writes:
That was ME!
I am definatly looking forward to your go Train Derek! Mine was far to tall.
and too wide (8-9 studs)

... I hope I have not just started a 6 vs 8 wide debate...

Cool, now to remember that. (rubbing temples) Jeff... Jeff... Jeff...

I'll be very surprised if my train can run on the display.  I built it for a
static display in my place, not to run the rails.  I don't have the space to
setup even a loop of track pertinently.  Because of this I built the cars to a
scale I wanted without consideration for running on the tracks.  This means the
cars are tall, and very long.  I did test it on a loop of track and it can go
around corners, however it does cut off a lot of the inside of the corner.
There needs to be a lot of space on the inside of corners for it to be able to
go around them.  I expect it won't be able to pass through the curved portion
of a switch without hitting something either.  So if it has to sit in a siding
for the show that's fine.  I'll be happy just to see it sitting among everyone
else's creations.

Derek

Well, in order to be Eleura-car compliant, we had to be able to pass a
fat 8-wide [1]...  All my track & bridges on the mainlines can handle a
skinny 10-wide [2], 34-long car [3], including the tunnel.  My tunnel
arches can handle a car that is 15.1 bricks tall (sitting on tracks) at
the centre (out to 6-wide) and 13.2 out to 10-wide.

So you're welcome to run on my part of the layout :)

Jeff E

[1] - "fat 8-wide" being defined as an 8-wide with clips and handles
hanging off the sides.

[2] - "skinny 10-wide" meaning that if you're *exactly* 10-wide, you'll
just squeak by on the straightaways - but if the car leans a little,
you're toast.

[3] - or whatever the length is of the really-long 1-piece low-rider
cars from the white & blue recent train set.