 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12027
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto17 Drag Racing Tentative Ruleset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:29:20 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:
What's wrong with allowing a purely mechanical solution?

Nothing.  I'm saying it makes it too easy.

If I find the time to do this contest, I'm going to attempt a mechanical
solution no mater what the rule about hanging over the edge of the table
is.

But allowing edge detection instead of looking for the line changes the
nature of the game as it was originally described to me.  Using tables
has artificially changed the nature of the game.  Maybe we should set
the end of the table against a wall and say you can't touch the wall.

Derek

I was thinking about this too.... but what if we stipulate that the robot MUST
use the black electrical tape finish line for detection, and NOT the table edge?
What if the robot is going so fast when it crosses the finish line that some
part of its front is hanging over the edge (1 inch or 2.54 cm or so)? would that
cause disqualification?

I agree about the other point: leave the competitors some design freedom -
either the bot physically turns around OR it simply reverses OR ???????

Then again, I won't be here for the event - I'm just debating entering a robot
by proxy :)

John