 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12032
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto17 Drag Racing Tentative Ruleset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:25:48 GMT

David Koudys wrote:

Here's the thing--

We have two tables, end to end, with a starting and finish line at the same
end--the 'bot must reach the other side and then come back.

If someone can come up with a mechanical mechanism that can go to the other end
of hte table, adn thencomeback tothestarting line, hey, I'm all for it.

Here's the next thing--how is a 'bot going to know it's approaching the edge
without some sort of edge detection--i.e. either a taped perimeter 3 inches
around the tables, or an edge sensor, which would necessitate something of the
'bot hanging over the edge.

The line across the table is what you use to detect that you need to stop.

I'm only arguing my point from the perspective of the original game.
We've already changed that by saying we have to return to the start
line.  If we wish to change the dynamics of the game further that's
fine.  I'm just pointing out that that is what we are doing.

In the case where you can detect the edge at the end of the table, the
line across the table become a lot less important.

THis is what I pictured happening with the races--

2 'bots start at one end, someone presses P1 on a remote--both 'bots start
moving towards the other end.  Once there, 'bots eitehr turn around, or just
drive backwards to the starting line.

This would exclude a mechanical solution, by the nature of having to
respond to a P1 press on the remote.

This way not only do you have the difficulty of notfalling over the
edge--something that growsin proportion to the distance travelled and the idea
that you must traverse the same distance again-- but you also have to contend
with another 'bot on the tables--maybe the other 'bot'll screw around and knock
you off or something.

I do like the idea of it being a head to head race, and not a timed
event.  Although I would have two sets of tables setup and run the bots
on separate tables.

Anyway, I'm not with the idea of no part of the 'bot ever going over any edge.

Only the edges at the ends would be no go zones.  You're more then
welcome to fall off the sides. :-)

Derek