 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12023
RE: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto17 Drag Racing Tentative Ruleset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:35:36 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ralph Hempel wrote:
2. Can the bot momentarily cross over the end of the
  table as long as it does not come to rest with a part
  hanging over the end of the table?

Guys?

I would think this should not be allowed.  If it is it changes the
nature of the contest.  What's the point in in having the lines across
the table.  The idea was you had to race down and stop within a certain
distance, not race down and stop before you fall off the table.

I agree Derek. I just raised the question to avoid the possibility
of a simple mechanical solution, as you have suggested :-)

At one point, I thought about the problem of driving straight and detecting
when the bot is just about to go over the side edge of the table.

So, as I understand it, we should not allow any part of the bot to extend
over the ends of the table at any time. Also, the robot can simply reverse
direction at the turn end, it does not actually have to turn around.

Ralph