 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12031
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto17 Drag Racing Tentative Ruleset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:11:52 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:
What's wrong with allowing a purely mechanical solution?

Nothing.  I'm saying it makes it too easy.

If I find the time to do this contest, I'm going to attempt a mechanical
solution no mater what the rule about hanging over the edge of the table
is.

But allowing edge detection instead of looking for the line changes the
nature of the game as it was originally described to me.  Using tables
has artificially changed the nature of the game.  Maybe we should set
the end of the table against a wall and say you can't touch the wall.

Derek

Here's the thing--

We have two tables, end to end, with a starting and finish line at the same
end--the 'bot must reach the other side and then come back.

If someone can come up with a mechanical mechanism that can go to the other end
of hte table, adn thencomeback tothestarting line, hey, I'm all for it.

Here's the next thing--how is a 'bot going to know it's approaching the edge
without some sort of edge detection--i.e. either a taped perimeter 3 inches
around the tables, or an edge sensor, which would necessitate something of the
'bot hanging over the edge.

THis is what I pictured happening with the races--

2 'bots start at one end, someone presses P1 on a remote--both 'bots start
moving towards the other end.  Once there, 'bots eitehr turn around, or just
drive backwards to the starting line.

This way not only do you have the difficulty of notfalling over the
edge--something that growsin proportion to the distance travelled and the idea
that you must traverse the same distance again-- but you also have to contend
with another 'bot on the tables--maybe the other 'bot'll screw around and knock
you off or something.

Anyway, I'm not with the idea of no part of the 'bot ever going over any edge.

Dave K