 Off-Topic / Pun / 647
Re: Bulk Pricing (Interesting comparison?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:55:03 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Christopher Masi wrote:

Paul Baulch wrote:

richard marchetti wrote in message ...

Check out eBay auction #526012994. LEGO 6987 MESSAGE-INTERCEPT BASE
(UNOPENED) -- that is MISB.  Perfect shape.  I just recieved it today, it's
my second MISB copy of this set.  With shipping it came to approx $130 USD.
That's 562 elements at approx. $0.23 for each element.

Check out page 30 of the January 2001 S@H catalogue.  1x8 Brick 25 piece • bag
for $5.99 USD.  That's almost $0.24 for each element.

What would you do?

I'd tell you that drawing a comparison between retail prices and one-off
bargains is silly!
$130 USD for a 6987+shipping is a complete bargain. People were happily
forking out $200 USD (_before_ shipping) for a MISB 6987 nearly two years
ago. Comparing such an unusual purchase with LD's retail prices doesn't
strike me as a fair comparison at all. Especially when you could simply have
compared it with the price per part of retail sets... ;-)

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/

You are right, it is not a fare comparison,

Really??  Sure sounds like one;-)

FUT off-topic.pun
John

No pun, just stupidity on my part.

but I would still like to pay less
than 24¢ a brick. I understand that parts packs do not move in the volume that
LEGO sets move. So, parts packs will be more expensive than sets, but sets go on
sale, parts packs don't. Being a train fan I am used to not being able to shop
at sales (other than when 4561 goes on sale). Track and accessories are always
full price.

Chris
--
See my LEGO creations at