 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1944
Re: Bulk Pricing (Interesting comparison?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:08:03 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

Check out eBay auction #526012994. LEGO 6987 MESSAGE-INTERCEPT BASE
(UNOPENED) -- that is MISB.  Perfect shape.  I just recieved it today, it's
my second MISB copy of this set.  With shipping it came to approx $130 USD.
That's 562 elements at approx. $0.23 for each element.

Check out page 30 of the January 2001 S@H catalogue.  1x8 Brick 25 piece bag
for $5.99 USD.  That's almost $0.24 for each element.

Hmm.  Looks to me like 6987 only has 3 1x8 bricks, so you'd be dropping
about $1200 bucks to get your hands on 25 1x8 bricks going that way.  And of
course, you're SOL if you don't want black ones.  Me, I'd spend the $5.99.

Or were you not looking for 1x8 bricks, but rather cool space sets?
Different market, different wants.

Me, I've dropped easily a grand US on bulk packs to date, and for some odd
reason, I don't feel ripped off.

The reason is that you and I have done it the hard way, so we can appreciate
what a great thing the bulk service really is.  We've spent $1000s to get
certain parts, slowly  collected onesies and twosies through auctions and parts
sales (*before* Brickbay) to get enough elements to build a MOC, so we know a
great thing when we see it.

-John

Probably becuase it's about 50 times less
(rough guess) than what I'd have to spend to get those elements from other
routes.

I'm also still not interested in space, and still not wasting my money on
any 6987's.

James