 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1987
Re: Bulk Pricing (Interesting comparison?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:13:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Timothy D. Freshly writes:

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
[snip]
Having said all that, I do hope we will at some point see 2nd tier bulk
packs which have 1000 bricks at a cheaper price point

For example, let's say an LD rep (like Jake for example) posts that bags of
1000 1xY and 2xY are available from LD for immediately shipment, product
numbers xxxx, etc.  No $ spent on advertising or fancy packaging.  No space
wasted in the S@H Catalog (which = no $ spent).  No money spent on consumer
research.  Such savings could then be passed onto the consumer (us).

With the operative word being 'could'. The real question revolves around
'should they ?'. Some of our 'bulk bricks could be had for $x.xx/piece'
discussions revolve around the prices seen in blue tubs. Does TLC make
sufficient margins on blue tubs ? Or are they a loss leader (cost of competing
with Mega Blocks) in which case the sale price per piece (to AFOLs, i.e. 'the
choir') might have to be higher.

One thing is for sure, when shopping at Lego Direct (unlike WM, KM, et al)
there are no Maga Blocks buckets screaming at you from across the aisle.

Ray