 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1982
Re: Bulk Pricing (Interesting comparison?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:33:22 GMT

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
[snip]
Having said all that, I do hope we will at some point see 2nd tier bulk
packs which have 1000 bricks at a cheaper price point

I would guess that outside of the AFOL market (individually and through LUGs
and LTCs), there is likely little demand for bricks by the 1000s.
Consequently, I would think that LEGO could cut costs in advertising,
packaging, etc. by simply offering "true bulk" directly to AFOLs, maybe even
through announcements on LUGNET or other similar online mediums.

For example, let's say an LD rep (like Jake for example) posts that bags of
1000 1xY and 2xY are available from LD for immediately shipment, product
numbers xxxx, etc.  No $ spent on advertising or fancy packaging.  No space
wasted in the S@H Catalog (which = no $ spent).  No money spent on consumer
research.  Such savings could then be passed onto the consumer (us).

The recent announcements on lugnet.announce.lsahs may be a test to gauge the
appropriatness and response of this community to such offers.  IMO, it's
pretty neat that LD is making these finds available to us first.  Hopefully,
if they find this to be a successful avenue for generating sales, they may
be willing to test some offerings of true bulk.

Finally, let me just say that this entire discussion has been very
interesting.  I am very pleased with the progress made by LD so far.  I
think the people who work there are doing a great job (especially
considering AFOLs were not even on the radar 2 years ago when any sort of
bulk service was just a pipe dream).  Hopefully, the prices will eventually
come down on the basic bricks (who doesn't want lower prices!) but the
non-basic elements seem to be fairly priced.  I also hope that LD is keeping
track of our various piece requests and are trying their best to impliment
those wishes (to our mutual advantage).

Tim