 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1963
Re: Bulk Pricing (Interesting comparison?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 05:29:46 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Paul Baulch writes:
I'd tell you that drawing a comparison between retail prices and one-off
bargains is silly! $130 USD for a 6987+shipping is a complete bargain. People >were happily forking out $200 USD (_before_ shipping) for a MISB 6987 nearly >two years ago.

Just to say it, that is the approximate price I have paid during the last
year for both MISB copies of that set.  If it used to go for $200, well I
guess the price has dropped.  Frankly, I wouldn't pay a lot more than I have
on these sets.

You can pay more, but the value for the money is the same.  My MISB sets
look like they came right off the shelf at a store.  I don't think of them
as bargains, I think of them as fair deals for the price and not bargains.

Comparing such an unusual purchase with LD's retail prices doesn't
strike me as a fair comparison at all. Especially when you could simply have
compared it with the price per part of retail sets... ;-)

Can't argue with that.

But my point was to suggest that a lego buyer of any age might think twice
about buying bulk or new sets (designed as poorly as KK castle and RR), when
they can buy the cream of the old sets for about the same price.  And I
think it will go uncontested that the older stuff just rocks!

Well, I'll tell you what.  What we are talking about here are apple and orange AFOLs.  You are the type of AFOL who likes to build and collect *sets*.  You pine for the old
days when sets "were still good".  Me?  I am the exact opposite.  I look back at the old days and remember wishing that they'd come out with *green* bricks!  One of the
classic sets of all time is considered to be set 6075 (Yellow Castle).  I say, "yellow castle? Blech!"  Now one can build gray, or dark gray, or even tan!  I'm building my
second tan building and I love it!  I would *hate* to have to go back and build in primary colors.

For you, it's about the sets.  For me, it's about the bricks.  I couldn't less about sets, except for the particular elements in them.  That is why you prefer to buy older
sets in MISB condition.  Personally, I think that is a waste of money.  You think it is a waste of money to buy bulk bricks at their offered price.  Can't we all just agree to
disagree here?

You look at the money you have, you look at what you can get for it, and
then you choose.  Any comparison is fair game.  Do you people have something
against a lower price for some of the bulk offerings or something?

Of course not, but complaining about it won't lower the price.  Asking for higher quantities might, but is that what you *really* want?  I don't really think that you are a
bulk-type customer, just an AFOL who wants to get cheap bricks, and you thought the bulk service was going to provide that for you.  The bulk service is not about cheap
bricks; it's about enabling creativity by making key elements widely available.

The prices for the bulk trees and windows seem reasonable to me, the prices
for the bulk basic bricks do not.  Your mileage may vary...

I'll say:-)

-John

-- Richard