 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1998
Re: Bulk Pricing (Interesting comparison?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 03:22:21 GMT

Frank & All,

While it would be cool to get these, I don't foresee TLC ever
intentionally making them available. Generally manufacturers like to
hide this kind of problem as much as possible.

I don't think this is a problem per say, I would call it more of a plastic
injection molding issue. When I worked in a plastic plant, and we did color
changes, we always had to empty  out the hopper, blow it out for the
possible regrind dust, clean out the grinder for the runners, and then run
the machine until the plastic ran out. Then, they did what was called a
purge, where the rest of the melted plastic in the nozzle and the injector
would be spit out, and then thrown somewhere in a lump (the entire injector
mechanism was pulled back from the mold and clamp mechanisms) When the color
was changed, the QA inspector usually came over and gave the approval to
start running the parts. The first few always had this mixing of color, and
the operator usually had to watch the first few dozen to make sure the color
was correct. It is practically inevitable in any environment such as plastic
production.

Scott S.
--
Want LEGO Elements at Great Prices?