 Off-Topic / Geek / 4030 (-20)
  Re: Firefly Fans?

(...) They did indeed change it, from more of a "This is the Universe" to "This is me and the Universe I live in" kind of feel. (...) Minor nit: Air is not required for sound, but matter is. Similarly, as the "no sound in space thing" goes: If you (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

I love Firefly, it captures the essence of what space-based civilization would be like in real life. I mean Star Trek paints a nice picture but real life isn't like that. In Firefly, each world has its own unique culture and technology level like (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

(...) Do it! The trick is to get rid of everything else you have built and use some abundant color, like red one the inside. Remember, red shag is the carpet of the future! Good luck! --Kyle (URL) (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) SNIP (...) Per Dave's last message, y is unknown (can't be 0), which Jeff has solved to 855/11. -Rob. (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) Hey, that's super! And I finally found an online reference at the U of Georgia site, so I can probably handle these in the future. Thanks for the clear explanation and the solution. Dave! (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) Oops. Hang on there Adrian, read for content. The five points as given in the initial problem (including 0,0) will not solve to a simple parabolic equation. Eliminating 0,0 does give us the solution specified above. Bleh. Adrian (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) Sorry, but this doesn't go through 0,0. Solving x=0, y=0 gives 0=855/11, which is clearly not true, so this isn't the equation he's looking for either. Adrian -- www.brickfrenzy.com (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) Yes, it does. If you just have the last four points to work with, then you definitely have an upward-turned parabola, symmetrical about the y-axis. Here's what you have to do to find the formula for a parabola, given three points: y = ax^2 + (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) Hmm. Well, now that I think of it, the vertex could be x=0 with y as an unknown. Does that change anything? Dave! (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) Oops - I'd better correct myself before else does. Your parabola does NOT exist. It is NOT symmetrical. I solved it for the three points with x > 0 My bad. :( Jeff J (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) Ugh - I can't believe it takes a math problem to get me to post for the first time in weeks. The formula for a parabola is: y = ax^2 + bx + c You only need three points to define a parabola, but since you've made yours symmetrical about the (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another math problem

(...) Are you looking for the defining equation of the form y = Ax2+Bx+c ?? or for something else? If the former wouldn't you just solve for "A" and "B" given that "C" is known to be zero (since you said that 0,0 is a point and is the vertex it (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Yet another math problem

This one should be pretty simple for you math-literate folks out there, but it's giving me a dreadful time... I have five points and am trying to define the parabola that contains them (if such exists). The points are: (0,0) (which is also the (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

Gulp. I thought you'd might say that. I was originally thinking of doing a mini scale version in the same vein as Jon's Bug, but the more I look at it, the more I think this might be my breakthrough into a larger project. I think my collection as (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

(...) It has redefined the Star Trek universe, but I'd like to argue not for the better. I've tried to like Enterprise. I really have. But its continued crapping on the mythos set down by all the other incarnations, coupled with some serious (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

(...) That it is indeed. And they use bullets instead of lasers or phasers or blasters, which is cool too. I'd build the Firefly, but I currently have two very large projects in the works so I doubt I'd have time to do it before someone else got to (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

Enterprise has been helping to fill the sci-fi quotas as well in our household. The production values are incredible (wide screen, hi-8 filming, best quality CGI), although occassionally the scripts can be cheeseball, but as I said before this is (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

Just collecting some pictures this morning..... ;) Considering the job you did on the Nebuch, I would LOVE to see what you could do with this. Indeed - it is refreshing to see space taken seriously as good storytelling will allow...placing a rifle (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

(...) Enterprise has consistently surprised me. For some reason (Quantum Leap, if I had to guess) I'm always inclined to despise Scott Bakula, but I really like him as Archer. I don't even mind especially that Enterprise contradicts some "canonical" (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Firefly Fans?

(...) Gotta agree with you all the way down the line. I wanted to like the show, but it just hasn't done it for me to date. I might give it another look - sometimes it takes awhile for a show to gel. Enterprise has been a great revival of Star Trek, (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact