 Off-Topic / Geek / 4030
Re: Firefly Fans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:51:59 GMT

In article <H5G7Er.K3o@lugnet.com>, DedmanWalkin <eds.13@angelfire.com> wrote:
I love their theme song it fits it so perfectly. Is it just me or did they
change the beginning narration that comes before the theme song from the
Preacher to the Captain? If Joss continued to switch from person to person
in the beginning narration that would be awesome.

They did indeed change it, from more of a "This is the Universe" to "This
is me and the Universe I live in" kind of feel.

Its space effects are excellently done, especially the lack of air. Not many
sci-fi series remember that air is required for sound and chemical explosives.

Minor nit: Air is not required for sound, but matter is. Similarly, as the
"no sound in space thing" goes: If you take a spaceship and explode it with
a microphone near it, the microphone will register sound from particles
hitting it. Probably won't sound much like an explosion, though. :)

Besides, that classical symphony orchestra doing the soundtrack can't be
heard in space, either. :)

Actually, I am quite curious to see just what River can do and her history.
I am thinking she is an ESPer but she might be Psionic. The project she was
in reminds of the Ghost Project from Starcraft.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of the characters evolve, but strangely
enough, River least of all. We knew up front River was weird... That's one
of the things I like best about the show, is it seems that it will be
quite character-driven, instead of technobabble driven.

Enterprise has captured more the human essence that was lost in TNG and DS9.
I mean they are slowly creating the Prime Directive as the framers of the
Constitution did through trial and error something TNG and DS9 did not do.
Granted Enterprise has some historical instabilities and technological
credibility issues but it does present a fairly accurate display of life on
board a ship of exploration, which is what it was created for.

I keep watching Enterprise. Half the time, I think, "Wow, this could be going
somewhere _really, really good!_"

The other half the time I think that I'd be praised by millions if I'd just
go shoot Rick Berman and Brannon Braga.

...but it's consistently sufficiently good that I keep watching, unlike
Voyager where I just had to give up.

If someone builds a mini-fig Serenity, please post pics.

I knew them wild west bricks would come in handy someday...

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
jd@forinash.not                                  ( <