 Off-Topic / Geek / 4008
Re: Firefly Fans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:58:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Just a quick note wondering if there are any other fans of 'Firefly' out
there?  As with all sci-fi, there is always a bit of cheese, but overall I
am really getting into this series. The TechWest concept has always
appealled to me (Westworld, Bravestarr, Galaxy Rangers, Sabre Riders etc.)
and it's refreshing to see these genres grafted together again.

Considering that space is "the final frontier", it's really unsurprising
that the wild west parallels continue to be drawn.  It really is a neat
show, and I've been enjoying it.

Although some episodes have hit and others missed, a recent one featuring
the injured captain having blood loss induced flashbacks dealing with 2
continuites....revealing the coming together of the crew, and the
circumstances leading up to his injury...was excellent storytelling.

Joss Whedon, who makes the show, also created Buffy the Vampire Slayer and
Angel, which also have great character driven storylines.

I think the strength of the show is that it tries to pivot on plot and
character development, not special effects and Deus Ex Machina solutions.
Technology is a backdrop and often an antagonist, not the focus.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that they take their space seriously on this show.
When showing exterior shots of the ships in space, there is no sound.  That
delights me to no end, as it's the first series or movie that I remember
that treats space with such realism.

Hope it gets some fanbase going.  Although if the demise of Farscape is an
indication, it may be another brief jewel.

Farscape was hurt by its soap opera style storytelling.  You miss a few
episodes (or in my case, half a season), and you get lost and have no idea
what's going on, and don't get the chance to catch up.  Hopefully Firefly
won't suffer the same fate, but Friday night is a dangerous place to put a
show like this, as its demographic likely skews to a younger crowd, and they
sure as hell don't spend many Friday nights at home.  I've heard that Fox
may be contemplating moving the show to a different timeslot (Monday would
be good, I can never find anything to watch then).

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Mine too :)

Cheers,
-G

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.geek

All we need to do is start talking about making a minifig-scale Serenity,
and we can take it back out of .o-t.geek :)