 Off-Topic / Geek / 4029
Re: Firefly Fans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 05:32:51 GMT

I love Firefly, it captures the essence of what space-based civilization
would be like in real life. I mean Star Trek paints a nice picture but real
life isn't like that. In Firefly, each world has its own unique culture and
technology level like that of the various countries of Earth. Somebody
studied up on their anthropology.

I love their theme song it fits it so perfectly. Is it just me or did they
change the beginning narration that comes before the theme song from the
Preacher to the Captain? If Joss continued to switch from person to person
in the beginning narration that would be awesome.

Its space effects are excellently done, especially the lack of air. Not many
sci-fi series remember that air is required for sound and chemical explosives.

The scene at the end of the beginning with Serenity flying over the horses
is one of my most favorite Sci-fi scenes.

Actually, I am quite curious to see just what River can do and her history.
I am thinking she is an ESPer but she might be Psionic. The project she was
in reminds of the Ghost Project from Starcraft.

Enterprise has captured more the human essence that was lost in TNG and DS9.
I mean they are slowly creating the Prime Directive as the framers of the
Constitution did through trial and error something TNG and DS9 did not do.
Granted Enterprise has some historical instabilities and technological
credibility issues but it does present a fairly accurate display of life on
board a ship of exploration, which is what it was created for.

If someone builds a mini-fig Serenity, please post pics.

\\//,DedmanWalkin
  Erik Schroer