 Off-Topic / Geek / 4016
Re: Firefly Fans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:33:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Just a quick note wondering if there are any other fans of 'Firefly' out
there?  As with all sci-fi, there is always a bit of cheese, but overall I
am really getting into this series.

I'm curious about this show, but have to admit that the 2 or 3 times I've
sat down to watch it, I wasn't entertained enough to get to the end of the
show.  I _want_ to like this show, as I really love the concept.  But I find
the writing and the execution to be a bit hokey.

I'll probably try watching again; I do want to give it another chance.  I
just hope they crank up the writing a notch or two.  There's nothing wrong
with light humor mixed into a show like that, but I prefer if the main plot
line is more dramatic.

On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of Enterprise, which I think has redefined
the Star Trek universe.  :)

It has redefined the Star Trek universe, but I'd like to argue not for the
better.  I've tried to like Enterprise.  I really have.  But its continued
crapping on the mythos set down by all the other incarnations, coupled with
some serious credibility-pushing plots, has led me to dislike it.  The only
way I can watch it is to believe that it doesn't quite live in the same
universe as the other Star Trek shows.  If I think of it as an alternate
reality, all is better :)

Firefly has the typical first season growing pains of a Joss Whedon show.
Using Buffy as a parallel, the first season was really kind of crappy.  It's
a marvel it wasn't cancelled.  The second season picked up and was quite
watchable, and the third and fourth seasons are some of the best stuff on
broadcast TV.  I hope that Firefly lasts long enough for it to do the same.

Adrian