 Off-Topic / Geek / 4014
Re: Firefly Fans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:13:05 GMT

Enterprise has been helping to fill the sci-fi quotas as well in our
household.  The production values are incredible (wide screen, hi-8 filming,
best quality CGI), although occassionally the scripts can be cheeseball, but
as I said before this is all accceptable risk with mainstream sci-fi.

Firefly is definately a different creature, but I can't say one is better
than the other.  IMO, so long as there is a wider variety of sci-fi out
there to choose from, we're all the better for it :)

-G

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Enterprise has been a great revival of Star Trek, as you note.  After Star
Trek: Lost in Space and Star Trek: Deep Six It, I pretty much lost interest.

Enterprise has consistently surprised me.  For some reason (Quantum Leap,
if I had to guess) I'm always inclined to despise Scott Bakula, but I really
like him as Archer.  I don't even mind especially that Enterprise
contradicts some "canonical" info from earlier series; across-the-board
consistency has never been ST's strong point, but so what?  If the shows are
entertaining, and if there are no massively disruptive continuity errors,
then I say play on!
Someone else lamented the soap-opera style of Firefly, which I think may
be a dramatically fatal flaw, as it was in X-files, for instance.  I haven't
seen Firefly, but that kind of protracted story-telling often bores me to
tears, unless the smaller story arcs are really engaging.

  Dave!