 Off-Topic / Geek / 4027
Re: Yet another math problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:14:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeff Jardine writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:

I have five points and am trying to define the parabola that contains them
(if such exists).  The points are:

(0,0) (which is also the vertex)
(14,100)
(-14,100)
(30,180)
(-30,180)

Hmm.  Well, now that I think of it, the vertex could be x=0 with y as an
unknown.  Does that change anything?

Yes, it does.  If you just have the last four points to work with, then you
definitely have an upward-turned parabola, symmetrical about the y-axis.

SNIP

so, a = 5/44, and c = 855/11, so the vertex intercepts the y-axis at 855/11
(about 77.7)

Your solution is y = (5/44)x^2 + 855/11

Sorry, but this doesn't go through 0,0.  Solving x=0, y=0 gives 0=855/11,
which is clearly not true, so this isn't the equation he's looking for either.

Per Dave's last message, y is unknown (can't be 0), which Jeff has solved to
855/11.

-Rob.