 Off-Topic / Geek / 1239
  Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

Just installed this on my dual celeron box and it runs like a champ, but I'm trying to figure out how to make KDE my default X-windows thingie.... don't like this Gnome stuff much. Can't get Mandrake to install on this system (doesn't seem to like (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) [scheme snipped] Yes, you will run into problems that way. Lilo can only boot kernels in the first 1024 cylinders of a drive. (This is the BIOS's fault, not Lilo's.) On most IDE drives, that's around 500MB. I usually set up workstations like (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

"Mike Stanley" wrote... (...) Mike, I went through this very excersize a week or three ago, and found that I was trying to make it much more difficult than it needed to be. After using rpm (I'm using a Red Hat 6.1 installation here) to install all (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) Hrmmm.... not sure how much 1024 cylinders would be on this drive. Gotta be more than 500mb, though, because the initial primary partition that Windows ME is living on is a gig. I guess I could have multiple tiny /boot partitions for each (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) errr... just curious (since I know nothing about turbo-linux) - doesn't it run stock kernels? or does it come with several precompiled (like redhat shipping with an smp and a non smp one)? :) Dan (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) I'm not sure how MSWin deals with this.... not my field. :) But a key point in the linux world is: the bit that as to be within the first 1024 cylinders is the beginning of the kernel. That means that if your kernel is on a partition that (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) The package is called 'switchdesk'. You can also change the system-wide default by doing this (as root): echo KDE > /etc/sysconfig/desktop or echo GNOME > /etc/sysconfig/desktop (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) I assume it comes with several precompiled since it gave me choices including i386, i586, i686, with both single processor and SMP. I know it is booting an i686 SMP kernel now. (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) Hrmmm... (...) Yeah, I hadn't ever installed RH (and Mandrake won't install here) on a dual processor system, so I didn't get to see it pick. My buddies and I are looking to colocate a custom box we're going to build at a local ISP. Mainly (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) I really like Red Hat, largely because they're extremely good about putting out quick security fixes. (Debian is really good at this too.) And they're generally a well put-together, solid system. I'm running Mandrake on my desktop right now, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) Hmmmm, crap. That isn't working. Either one. I installed switchdesk and I select KDE but no matter what I always get Gnome and Enlightenment. I also tried doing the above as root - same thing. :( Oh well, I'll keep trying. Gotta get sshd (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) Ok. Screw that and edit your ~/.xsession file. (You may not have one yet...) It should say something like: exec startkde Or, if you're using ssh-agent (which is pretty cool): exec ssh-agent startkde (...) I highly recommend OpenSSH: (URL). (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) yah, that's what I did - fvwm is way cooler than E or KDE, but that's another debate :) (...) is there any other difference between OpenSSH and the "regular" ssh? other than one being GNUed? :) Dan (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) I'm partial to Window Maker, myself. (...) Well, it's got a few fixes, and I think eventually it will be better. But in this case, the license is really important -- regular SSH is only available for noncommercial use freely -- if you use it (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) debate==good. :) Let's say I wanted to ditch Gnome and try out fvwm -- but with the option to switch back to Gnome if it didn't work out -- what would I type? My biggest beef with Gnome is that it has *terrible* keyboard support. I'm forced to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Redhat 6.1 up and running, Vmware 2.0 installed

Well, RH 6.1 is running, knows I have two celerons, etc, etc. Vmware 2.0 is installed. So far I have Win2k Pro installed, planning on putting Win2k Server and both NT4 Workstation and Server on as well. Need some more ram and it looks like I missed (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) well, there's two issues here. First, you can use gnome WITH fvwm - since gnome is not a window manager. Fvwm 2.2.x (the current stable version) has support for gnome, it's not complete yet - most things will work just fine though. The next (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Redhat 6.1 up and running, Vmware 2.0 installed

(...) I have to agree with that!. In my experience, it's been quite stable, and its rendering engine is excellent, but it's got The Most Heinous Memory Leak (even up through the most recent release from two weeks ago) and its font support and (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6

(...) Pssh. Details are good. (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Redhat 6.1 up and running, Vmware 2.0 installed

(...) Just Wait For Mozilla. No, really, I mean it. I've been using the nightly builds for a while now, and it's getting really good. (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Redhat 6.1 up and running, Vmware 2.0 installed

(...) I've been thinking about trying some other browser (sorry netscape, cronning killall netscape every night is getting annoying). Are the snapshots good enough for reasonable use? :) Dan (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Redhat 6.1 up and running, Vmware 2.0 installed

(...) They've finally hooked up drag&drop for bookmarks -- that was the main blocker for me. But it still doesn't have SSL, so you need to keep something around for that for now at least. (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)