 Off-Topic / Geek / 1248
Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 04:35:45 GMT

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 04:18:31 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:

But a key point in the linux world is: the bit that as to be within the
first 1024 cylinders is the beginning of the kernel. That means that if your
kernel is on a partition that spans that boundary, it'll probably work right
away, 'cause when it got installed, it probably happened pretty early on.
But then, if you upgrade your kernel ever, suddenly your machine won't boot.

Hrmmm...

FWIW, Red Hat (and Mandrake and other RH-derived distros) ships with i386,
i586, and i686 kernels, in single proc and SMP flavors. It just picks which
to install automatically.

Yeah, I hadn't ever installed RH (and Mandrake won't install here) on
a dual processor system, so I didn't get to see it pick.

My buddies and I are looking to colocate a custom box we're going to
build at a local ISP.  Mainly playing with Linux distros right now to
figure out which one we want to go with.

Gonna put an old 6 gig drive in my test machine (K62-233) tonight and
put Mandrake on it.  I figure I'll limit my dual celeron system to one
distro anyway, since I want to use it to run vmware and multiple
Win2k/WinNT setups.  Maybe even Netware.  ;)

You know, if you want to play with distros, VMware works really well for
that....

Yeah, almost seems weird, though, running one Linux inside another.
Much more weird than running something by MS inside Linux, for some
weird reason...

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html