 Off-Topic / Geek / 1245
Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 04:18:31 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
Hrmmm.... not sure how much 1024 cylinders would be on this drive.
Gotta be more than 500mb, though, because the initial primary
partition that Windows ME is living on is a gig.

I'm not sure how MSWin deals with this.... not my field. :)

But a key point in the linux world is: the bit that as to be within the
first 1024 cylinders is the beginning of the kernel. That means that if your
kernel is on a partition that spans that boundary, it'll probably work right
away, 'cause when it got installed, it probably happened pretty early on.
But then, if you upgrade your kernel ever, suddenly your machine won't boot.

I guess I could have multiple tiny /boot partitions for each distro...

You could probably get away with two. One would be the 'real' boot partion,
and the other you'd use when installing stuff. Once installed, you'd
reconfigure them (not hard) to use the real boot partition. (With you doing
it manually, the different distros won't step on each other. You could even
make them share the same kernel, if you're careful.) In fact, once you've
got everything set up, the 'spare' partition could be turned into additional
swap.

Starting to sound like more work than it is worth.  I like that
TurboLinux gave me a choice of kernels, including one optimized for
PII/III SMP.  I assume that means it should be running faster than a
standard i386 kernel.

FWIW, Red Hat (and Mandrake and other RH-derived distros) ships with i386,
i586, and i686 kernels, in single proc and SMP flavors. It just picks which
to install automatically.

Gonna put an old 6 gig drive in my test machine (K62-233) tonight and
put Mandrake on it.  I figure I'll limit my dual celeron system to one
distro anyway, since I want to use it to run vmware and multiple
Win2k/WinNT setups.  Maybe even Netware.  ;)

You know, if you want to play with distros, VMware works really well for
that....