 Off-Topic / Geek / 1241
Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 23:05:41 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
I'm doing partitions for each system (was going to do 4 gig, think it
might be better to do 2 gig since I'm going to have at least 3-4 on
here and I'm not sure they'll all be bootable otherwise).  Will I run
into any problems if I set them up like this:

[scheme snipped]

Yes, you will run into problems that way. Lilo can only boot kernels in the
first 1024 cylinders of a drive. (This is the BIOS's fault, not Lilo's.) On
most IDE drives, that's around 500MB. I usually set up workstations like
this:

(swapspace) ~ 128MB
/boot       ~  10MB
/           the rest

It's possible that you might get away with sharing /boot between all your
distros, but the installers probably would freak out about that. So you're
probably going to have to create multiple small /boot partitions....