 Off-Topic / Geek / 1258
Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE - Turbolinux 6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 22:06:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
Let's say I wanted to ditch Gnome and try out fvwm -- but with the option to
switch back to Gnome if it didn't work out -- what would I type?

My biggest beef with Gnome is that it has *terrible* keyboard support.  I'm
forced to use the mouse under Gnome even more than on a Mac.  :-(  I hate
MS-Windows, but one thing it's incredibly great at (IMHO) is keyboard support
in apps.

well, there's two issues here.  First, you can use gnome WITH fvwm - since
gnome is not a window manager.  Fvwm 2.2.x (the current stable version) has
support for gnome, it's not complete yet - most things will work just fine
though.  The next stable (2.4.x, due out in a few weeks) should have full gnome
support.

What you're switching here is the window manager, in RH's case, Enlightment.
The easiest way to do that is to select AfterStep from the RH config, since
that's just one configuration runnning fvwm.  The better way (but harder) is to
do what Matt said - rename your ~/.Xclients to something else, and create a new
one that will start an xterm and run fvwm...

If you want more details, mail me :)

Dan