 Off-Topic / Fun / 9699
Re: Death of the Old Guard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:17:28 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
I don't think Lego Castle is dead.

Nah, it isn't exactly dead, I would just say dormant at the time. I
guess that's because the lego castle releases have lagged recently,
and space, well you know...

I also don't think Harry Potter is castle, but rather just castle fodder.

Hmm...couldn't agree much more than that, to tell you the truth, I
can't stand it when someone refers to any HP sets as castle. They're more
of their own range, IMO.

However, I submit to you that it is not Lego Castle that is dieing, but rather
Lugnet.castle.

I've noticed the severe drop in posts recently. I think over the past
few months, changes have steadily been setting in, probably due to
a higher interest in sci-fi creations and their flexability (not
saying castle isn't flexable, just that there's more to space than
meets the eye)

The old guard is all but gone now.  Just about all that's left of the
super-castle posters of long ago are me, Jeff and Troy.

Shiri, Chris, Pawel, Wilson, and all the others have gone away.  Well, gone
away from lugnet, or just moved to .space and .mecha.

Noticed I haven't seem a post from any one of them in a while (or maybe
that's because I wasn't really watching .castle recently.

Lugnet.castle once rivaled space and mecha combined in number of posts a day.
New MOCs were posted every day it seemed.  Now all we have is debate and the
dregs of what was once a powerful lugnet community.

Hey, change happens, and I guess history has a lot to do with
that too. I remember watching this show on TV about this ancient
civilization that mastered the art of metal smithing, and then they
just completely disappeared, with few traces after new civilizations
sprouted elsewhere. Maybe the same thing is going on with space and
mecha killing out the castle forums. There seems to be a lot of interest
in either Star Wars or Sci-Fi Gundam Wing styled creations right now.

Maybe the drop in castle postings can also be attributed to the rising cost of
castle related elements (have you checked ebay or bricklink lately?) I
would say, given some time that things will fall back into place once
again (don't forget, it's the school year so people won't be posting as much.)

find yourself lost.

Not yet...

<<_Matt Hein_>>