 Castle / 14057
Re: Dead men tell no tales!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:43:41 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
I don't think Lego Castle is dead.

I also don't think Harry Potter is castle, but rather just castle fodder.

Here you encounter my first problem: for those of us who don't buy Harry
Potter or Star Wars or studios monsters on principle (me) theres not much
left.

You don't buy those sets "On principle"?  Ye gods, WHY?!  Brick is brick is
brick, no matter what set it comes from.  Even *Jack Stone* has SOME good
parts.  Star Wars and Harry Potter sets have given me *tons* of useful bricks,
plates, and specialized pieces.  It would have been impossible for me to build
my village sections for Brickfest without having SW and HP parts.  Don't limit
yourself because of misguided beliefs that Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Monster
Studios sets are "evil" or "not really Lego".  No set or theme should be
ignored just because it isn't "true" castle.

Now, I'll admit that these themes aren't the best for building actual castles,
but there is much more to the castle theme than fortified buildings.  If all
you want to do is build forts, the bulk gray bricks are pretty much sufficient.
However, if you want to build villages, towns, and many other civilian
structures, Harry Potter can't be beat.  And you can always sell or trade the
parts you don't like.

"All sets are spare parts, period."
Jeff

In my blessed opinion, Harry Potter and Star Wars have been the best thing
for LEGO Castle accessory set development since the invention of the mini
figure.  Why?  I get lots of nice parts in new designs and colors that
stimulate my creativity.  AND I have a wider selection of towns folk to
choose from, rather than just Pirate and Castle.  AND there are massive
amounts of parts available due to these sets going on clearance all the
time.  AND it gives me a break from building only Castles all the time which
helps me overcome builders block and find innovative new ways to stack
brick.  AND the Harry Potter sets are civilized fantasy castle interiors.

All of it works well into my Castle theme.  One thing that I have been
persuaded to agree to from building experience is that the castle wall piece
that we all value so much is really a handicap.  You must build around it
most of the time, they don't flow well into a large wall, they are too thin
and they increase the expense of a LEGO set.  Besides all that, it limits
the success of a Castle theme official TLC set because most of the SPACE and
TRAIN folk who spend bucks avoid them, thereby reducing TLC's overall sales
by marketing to the smaller number who want that weird wall.  I have a bunch
of these castle wall pieces, but I would rather just had grey bricks I
think.  The only thing that a CURRENT MARKET AVAILABILITY LEGO builder will
be thwarted by is the lack of army building mini figures and weapons.  So
you would have to go Medieval Town, or buy parts on eBay or Bricklink.  You
chose, it is after all YOUR Castle.

CASTLE LIVES!!

-Aaron-