 Castle / 14063
Re: Death of the Old Guard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 04:09:10 GMT

for those of us who don't buy Harry
Potter or Star Wars or studios monsters on principle (me) theres not much
left.

You don't buy those sets "On principle"?  Ye gods, WHY?!  Brick is brick is
brick, no matter what set it comes from. ...Star Wars and Harry Potter sets have given me *tons* of useful bricks,
plates, and specialized pieces.

I just wanted to add a big "me too" to this.  Using pieces purely from the
old Castle theme, any town would be populated by only about 6 or so civilian
torso types (the gray/blue peasant, the old blacksmith, the woman with the
neclace, the wolfpack, and various woodsmen torsos) (okay, maybe 10 or so).
Add in Star Wars and you get lots more.  Just about any Jedi has a perfect
torso for a townsman (Tatooine Luke, Old Ben, Yoda, Dooku (nobleman),
Emporer, Darth Maul (same torso), Anakin, Qui-Gon), plus Leia, Han, several
others.  Add to that some new pieces like the new hoods, stubby legs
(perfect for Hobbits or other fantasy creatures), walking sticks (were these
new as SW elements (lightsaber blads)?).  Plus depending on the set you get
lots of bricks and slopes.
I just bought a big lot of SW sets and while about a third of the pieces
were useless (at first glance) for castle (cockpit windows, the saucer part
of the Millenium Falcon, printed pieces, etc), the rest were generally
useful bricks and plates (lots of gray), figs, etc.

Bruce