 Castle / 14609
Re: Death of the Old Guard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:56:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
I don't think Lego Castle is dead.

I also don't think Harry Potter is castle, but rather just castle fodder.

As has been discussed elsewhere in this thread, HP & SW have some useful
pieces for non-traditional Castle building (i.e. non fortified structures),
but there's also a lot of elements that are not useful unless you also build
in other themes.  (I also think the HP & SW sets are too expensive for what
you get, but that's just me.)

However, I submit to you that it is not Lego Castle that is dieing, but rather
Lugnet.castle.

The old guard is all but gone now.  Just about all that's left of the
super-castle posters of long ago are me, Jeff and Troy.

Shiri, Chris, Pawel, Wilson, and all the others have gone away.  Well, gone
away from lugnet, or just moved to .space and .mecha.

This is all very sentimental and all, but I can't help thinking it is also
heavy on the ego (or is your tone of voice being lost in the medium?).  Just
because some of the Lugnetters that were posting when you started reading
might not have posted recently doesn't mean the newsgroup is dead.  There
are quite a number of us that started within the last year or two who have
been active posting MOCs, stories, and having discussions on historical
ideas.  Yes, it's been slow for the past few months, but I think that's part
of the normal fluctuation here (we all have life outside of Lego, and many
of us enjoy other themes too).  Regardless, although I'm sure we're all
missing some great input from the "old guard", there sure seems to be some
good ideas amongst us "young'ns" .... haha!  I recently turned 30 and I've
been collecting Lego since 1978, but here I'm a "young'n"!  Heehee!

The new guard has taken it's place in the world, but the golden age of
Lugnet.castle is gone I fear.

Define "golden age".  If you mean golden age of Castle from TLC, that was
over several years ago.

Lugnet.castle once rivaled space and mecha combined in number of posts a day.
New MOCs were posted every day it seemed.  Now all we have is debate and the
dregs of what was once a powerful lugnet community.

I am among those who have been in .space more lately myself.  As an
enthusiast in several themes, I tend to vary from time to time depending on
my mood.  This may be true of others here.  And I think it is healthy.  It
means when I get builders block with Castle I can work on a spaceship or a
skyscraper, and then when an idea sparks the Castle comes out better in the end.

I digress, if you are concerned that .castle is losing posters to other
groups, then perhaps you could do something to change that.  Post some cool
MOCs.  Strike up conversation about medieval history.  Make a Lugnet Poll
that might spark a new thread.  Or do what the .spacers did: Develop a group
project that others might be inspired by.  When they started the Moonbase
project it took off like wildfire and is still going strong now.  Maybe
.castle could do something of that nature?

I know, I know.  That is what CW and IOM were supposed to be.  Well, perhaps
reviving CW is one option.  Or perhaps starting a new group idea would work.
The old adage around here seems to be, if you have something to complain
about, do something to change it.

Or maybe I'm just having fun... :)

Ah!  There's the tone of voice I was looking for earlier.   8-)

-Hendo