 Castle / 14056
14055  |  14057
Subject:
Late medieval castle MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:29:30 GMT

Hi all,

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been on vacation abroad, and then
on a roadtrip since right ater Brickfest.

After mentioning it in passing many times, and posting some sparse pictures of
it in various stages, I can finally offer some more substancial pics of my big
castle I have been working on for almost a year! Being the computer illiterate
I am, I haven't yet figured out how to take pics and post them myself, but Abe
Friedman was kind enough to take a bunch of pics at Brickfest, and you can
check them out at this link.

There are pics of my castle in:

Friday, rows 6 and 7 from top.

Sunday 1, bottom 4 rows.

Sunday 2, top 2 rows.

I'm sorry it's kind of a bother to find your way to the pics.

The castle has 2 sets of walls, one of which almost (but not quite) encircles
the other. The inner bailey includes a great hall, kitchen, dungeon, several
towers and also a "palace area" which has a garden/courtyard, a well and living
quarters for the Royal Family and servants. In one of the towers, there is a
double doored sally port, so the inhabitants of the castle can send out sorties
or even try to escape in the event of a siege. I'm not sure if this last
feature is in any of the pictures. Another of the towers has a HP spiral stair-
case built into it. (Sunday 2, second row, to the left)

The outer bailey has a large gatehouse, batteries on two corners for early
cannons, several towers of various sizes, a white chapel (with bell towers and
chantry), a tan coloured torture chamber tower (with cages for prisoners
hanging outside), a small blacksmith's forge and a brown timbered
stable/barracks. There are a couple of ballistae mounted at various locations
around the castle too. I've made some different kinds of arrow slits at various
places, (see if you can find them!) and have learned that there are lots of
different ways to do this.

The outer bailey also has a smaller gatehouse with a drawbridge which leads out
to a separate harbour area which has a red and black half timbered inn.  The
idea is that sailors and soldiers can come in from the high seas to enjoy a
well deserved ale or ten, and the good company of the local minifigettes,
without endangering the actual security of the castle with their inebriated
behaviour! Note that the chapel is as far away for the inn as it can be,
(although painfully close to the torture chamber tower).

There are also 2 medieval ships at the harbour.

The large black and grey double D style gatehouse is one of my favourite parts
of the castle, and features a specially built door, which can be locked from
the inside, and has a special small door built into it, which can be opened to
allow only one person through at a time (Sunday 1, 3rd row from the bottom). It
also has a portcullis which can be winched up and suddenly dropped down at the
switch of a lever. I got this idea from John Kornhouse at Brickfest last year.

PLMKWYT!

cheers

Magnus