 Off-Topic / Fun / 8512 (-20)
  Re: Not Really Legos. . .

(...) Actually, the TV series (Chronicles of the Heroic Knight) *is* what Toonami has up there. :) A shame they didn't start with the video series, since it is better and comes first story-wise. :) I do recommend everyone check out the episode (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Not Really Legos. . .

(...) Hey Brett! Yeah, Record of Lodoss War is a great series, however the newest season, called "chronicles of the Heroic Knight" is by far the best. I highly reccomend this series to fantasy and castle lovers! It was a big influence on my (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-01, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Faucets

(...) I read an interesting story about Adventure. A woman who was a very big fan of the game got a chance to go caving in the portion of Mamoth Flint Ridge cave that Adventure is set in (the game was originally created as a "map" of the cave, Woods (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Lego Beretta just won't die

(...) I *almost* did an MP5 in full-auto...but then I looked at the cost of the ammo multiplied by the magazine capacity divided by the rounds per second -- and decided to rent a nice slow semi instead. :-, (...) I've only been able to find one for (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Job specific titles for train and rail crew

To my knowledge the original term 'knocker up' referred to someone, usually an apprentice who went round very early in the morning and woke the train crew by knocking on their windows with a stick. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Dung Beetles (was: It's brawl night in the kiddie pool)

(...) Ah, to be in Australia -- a sprawling landscape of free parking. A land where students roll into their numerous, and readily available parking spots mere moments before class begins. People lollygag and gather in small groups, discussing the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Dung Beetles (was: It's brawl night in the kiddie pool)

(...) you'll (...) I think it's to do with relaxation - we can watch the fun, or ignore it if we desire. Sorta like the fish channel. Our local Melbourne broadcaster also plays fish swimming around when it has nothing else to show - and actually (...) (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Faucets

(...) IIRC, "spelunker" and "caver" do not refer to precisely the same thing. The contours and qualifiers are different. But, of course, Frank can give you a better litany of the defining factors than I. ;) best LFB (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Faucets

(...) Also known by the amazing title "spelunkers"; not very commonly used (except among spelunkers!), but made infamous when included by Willie Crowther in his brilliant advent game (the elusive last point in the game is obtained by dropping a copy (...) (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Job specific titles for train and rail crew

(...) I've never hear "knocker up", but the phrase "knock 'er up" has a couple of meanings in Aus - first to build something quickly, as in to "knock up a shed in the back yard". It's other meaning is related to procreation, and I won't spell it out (...) (23 years ago, 25-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Faucets

(...) While I certainly normally say faucet, I do use tap occasionally, and what I fill my water bottle with is "tap water" not "faucet water". (...) Never heard this one. (...) I have used all three, though I actually usually mean different things (...) (23 years ago, 25-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Faucets

(...) I guess any country that has two official languages is goona be confused about stuff like this 8?) (...) In Australia, it seems to be mainly serviette. (...) Probably garbage is more common here, but rubbish is probably even more widely used. (...) (23 years ago, 25-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Faucets

(...) In Canada we use both terms equally. I asked a co-worker why this is. He replied that it's our vastly superior intellects. ;) We also interchangeably use: napkin and serviette trash and garbage couch and sofa floor and ceiling OK, I made up (...) (23 years ago, 24-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Photos of PNLTC display at GATS

(...) I concur. Memories are a funny thing though. Hard to distrust your own. According to the creators of Schoolhouse Rock, Tom Yohe and George Newall [1], the series ran on ABC until the mid-eighties, when it was shelved and largely forgotten for (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: we want....a shrubbery)

"Silent Running" with Bruce Dern a hippie sci-fi movie. You'll have to pack them in several Duplo egg pods around a central core. Or four of those trans dark blue corner domes from one of the monorails. (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Fellowship of the Ring Soundtrack

South Park killed Enya for me. :) Being old is like being trapped in a dark room with Enya on the radio. It's cheesy and lame, yet earily soothing, all at the same time. "Jeff Stembel" <jeff.stembel@noaa.gov> wrote in message (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fellowship of the Ring (the book, not the film...)

I've made about five attempts to read the trilogy, and each time I make it to the second chapter of the third book before I've lost interest and started reading something else. The first book starts deadly slow, the second heats up a bit, but by the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: we want....a shrubbery)

(...) That would be 'Silent Running' starring one of the kings of crazy (1), Bruce Dern. For anyone who has not seen it, its well worth renting. 1: A 'king of crazy' is an actor who can play insane roles really well. Bruce Dern was a Master. Others (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring Soundtrack

Hey all! I picked up the newly released soundtrack for The Fellowship of the Ring, and I must say, it is *fantastic.* It has a good mix of classical orchestral styled pieces, many of which are rather Wagnerian, and some Celtic pieces. In addition, (...) (23 years ago, 22-Nov-01, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fellowship of the Ring (the book, not the film...)

(...) Bilbo holds combined birthday party. (...) Arrive at Farmer Maggots. Walk some. Arrive at edge of Old Forest. Escape before attack of Black Riders. (...) And Goldberry. Thankfully this is excised from the movie. I much prefer Tim Benzedrine (...) (23 years ago, 21-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact