 Off-Topic / Fun / 8508
Re: Job specific titles for train and rail crew
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:42:07 GMT

To my knowledge the original term 'knocker up' referred to someone, usually
an apprentice who went round very early in the morning and woke the train
crew by knocking on their windows with a stick.

Tim
In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
In lugnet.trains, Jim Schifeling writes:
I'm gonna bet the "knocker up" is a mostly UK term as well.
I think it would elicit snickers from grown men in the US

Actually, I heard it from a Aussie.

I've never hear "knocker up", but the phrase "knock 'er up" has a couple of
meanings in Aus - first to build something quickly, as in to "knock up a shed
in the back yard". It's other meaning is related to procreation, and I won't
spell it out here...

ROSCO

FUT .o-t.fun