 Off-Topic / Fun / 8502
Re: Faucets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:03:38 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Martin Scragg writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I think you will find that the part Rose refers to is a "faucet" when most
people talk about it, even if partsref calls it a tap.... it's on a 1x2
I am not going to debate this, but this is a language difference.  In
Australia, UK, and other places, the thing you have over a sink that water
comes out of is called a "tap", whereas in the US (and possibly others) it
is called a "faucet".  This is just in case you or anyone else didn't
realize this.

While I certainly normally say faucet, I do use tap occasionally, and
what I fill my water bottle with is "tap water" not "faucet water".

In Canada we use both terms equally.

I asked a co-worker why this is.  He replied that it's our vastly superior
intellects.  ;)

I guess any country that has two official languages is goona be confused about
stuff like this 8?)

We also interchangeably use:

napkin and serviette

In Australia, it seems to be mainly serviette.

Never heard this one.

trash and garbage

Probably garbage is more common here, but rubbish is probably even more widely
used.

I have used all three, though I actually usually mean different things
when I say trash or garbage. Garbage contains food or cooking waste.
Rubbish is more commonly used in a derogatory sense "Oh rubbish, I'm not
going to do that."

couch and sofa

Used to be mainly couch here, but sofa seems to be catching on - maybe because
of increased use of sofa-beds (couch-bed just doesn't sound right)?

Couch is most common here, but sofa is used also.

floor and ceiling

Depends if you're a diver or an astronaut, I guess 8?)

Or drunk... Of course many floors are ceilings also, it just depends on
whether you're standing on it or under it...

Frank
whose hobbies of Model Railroading and Wargaming have made him slightly
bi-lingual.
An interesting one I just saw yesterday in a book I'm reading. I had
already determined the author of the series was English (or at least not
US American). In one part, the characters were talking about exploring
some underground areas, and one mentioned getting some rock climbers.
The other said, no, more like potholers or cavers. The other then said
he had climbing and caving experience. It surprised me to see BOTH the
US and UK terms used together, but then the US term clearly won out.