 Off-Topic / Fun / 8495
Re: we want....a shrubbery)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 02:19:02 GMT

In lugnet.build, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
In lugnet.build, Mark de Kock writes:

Mark -where do I put those trees in my Classic Space Base?- de Kock

Under a huge greenhouse dome type construction. There are several famous SF
references in books and movies that set a precedent for this.
I remember a movie about a colonising spaceship that caried Earth's last
trees (planet Earth suffered a nuclear war after they had left), when they
recieve a political order from their home planet Earth to destroy the
onboard trees.

That would be 'Silent Running' starring one of the kings of crazy (1), Bruce
Dern. For anyone who has not seen it, its well worth renting.

1: A 'king of crazy' is an actor who can play insane roles really well.
Bruce Dern was a Master. Others are Alan Rickman (who can currently be seen
as Prof. Snape in the new Harry Potter film - and don't forget one of his
best crazy performances as the Sheriff of Nottingham in 'Robin Hood: Prince
of Thieves') and Jack Nickelson (sp?) (although I'm half convinced that
Nickelson isn't acting :)).

Ken

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.