 Off-Topic / Fun / 8499
Re: Photos of PNLTC display at GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:30:11 GMT

Mark Sandlin wrote:

In article <Gn6p2x.AuK@lugnet.com>,
"Richard Noeckel" <Shroud_of_kung_fu@hotmail.com> wrote:

Trust Me... it was on "Sesame Street"!!!
That's where i first saw it...
                               Back in '86 i think

I think you're mistaken.

Schoolhouse Rock was created specifically by ABC-TV for their Saturday
morning cartoon lineup. It was aired exclusively on ABC.

I concur. Memories are a funny thing though. Hard to distrust your own.

According to the creators of Schoolhouse Rock, Tom Yohe and George Newall
[1], the series ran on ABC until the mid-eighties, when it was shelved
and largely forgotten for a decade. There is no mention of it ever airing
on PBS, nor does my copy of "Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories,
Secrets, and Songs" [2] have any mention of it.

Additionally, the concepts of Schoolhouse Rock, parts of speech,
multiplication tables, science concepts, and history, are FAR too
advanced for Sesame Street's demographic of four- and five-year-olds,
preparing to enter school. [also: 2] They're still working on letters and
numbers, and some basic phonetics.

I'm glad so many people have such fond memories of this, though. I should
also mention that the lyrics and music for C. Jct. (and many other SHR
favorites) were written and sung by Bob Dorough, a great Jazz musician.
Look him up on Amazon and play some samples of his music. Great stuff!

Rick Clark
PNLTC

1. In their introduction to "Schoolhouse Rock: The Official Guide,"
c.1996, American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.
2. by David Borgenicht, c.1998, Children's Television Workshop