 Off-Topic / Fun / 7167
Re: mech legalities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 18:29:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Dungeons and Dragons is now in its 3rd edition, but the game itself hasn't
recovered from the new-release-hiatus it suffered a few years back.  TSR is
still the producer of AD&D and the like, but it is a subsidiary company of WotC.

Which is now a subsidiary of Hasbro.

Isn't Avalon Hill, too?

   If you ever want to make a die-hard grognard cry, mention
   the Sad Fate of the Late, Great, Avalon Hill Games Company.
   It's pathetic what happened--they were acquired by Hasbro
   Interactive, which basically sits on all the great intellectual
   property with absolutely no intention of ever doing anything
   with it, because there's not enough money to be made when
   they could instead be pushing more flat-crack pap with a
   lower learning curve and a higher margin.

   Hasbro brought out a criminally bad version of _Diplomacy_ for
   the computer, and will surely continue producing a few key
   games, but things like Squad Leader, Midway, Bismarck, any of
   a million Napoleonic War squad-level games, and so forth are
   sure never to see the light of day again.  Maybe not even such
   relatively popular games as War at Sea and Victory in the
   Pacific.

   It's really sad--truly the end of an era.

Being a long-time GURPS (oh geez, now I gotta explain more initials to the
looky-loos: Generic Universal Role Playing System) fan, I'm glad Evil Stevie
is still around, but starting out a 10 year old in GURPs is a bit difficult.
There's something to be said for handing him some dice, giving him a few
odds and ends to start with, and letting him go.

Still have my 1st edition brown-box (no A)D&D(no TM)!  My 27 year old
20-sided die takes about that long to stop rolling it's gotten so round.  :-)

   That odd medium-blue 20-sider?  I have mine!  :)

My RPG FoTW (not this week, but it happened during *a* week):

   Good God, man!  :)  High Guard was fun, though.  I'd hold battles
   with High Guard and used it to run a strategic RPG, a la _Galaxy_
   but with much more involved combat.  It worked fine until we
   actually had to try and have meetings...sigh.

   I've once in a while tossed around resurrecting it as a PBEM--
   or attaching it to some sort of tweakable engine--but it's always
   that "someday" project...

   all best

   Lindsay